Every business needs more web traffic and more leads. There are differing opinions on how to achieve this.
If you’ve been paying attention to Matt Cutts (he works at Google and I believe his official title is Manager of Web Spam) you’ll know that for years and years, the instructions we’ve all received is to publish interesting and relevant content that real people find useful. That helps answer their questions and solve their problems.
Every update of the Google search algorithm has been attempts to move towards that goal.
If you’ve built your search ranking on tricks, the odds are one day Google will update their algorithm so your preferred trick no longer works, and overnight your site can lose its ranking.
Building a repository of content that appeals to real people is the goal, but you must still get the attention of the search engine robots first, so they bring real people to your site via organic search.
So how do you strike a good balance between appealing to humans, while simultaneously appealing to the search engines?
- Publish content in small chunks where one post answers one question. To verify this makes sense, think about the last time you found YOUR answer near the end of a 1,000 word post.
- Provide good and useful content that answers real questions that real people have. If you’ve been in your business for a while, you know what those questions are.
- Publish these “snippets” at regular intervals. Whether it’s once a week, or five times a day, space them out at regular intervals.
- Publish as often as you can. Sites that publish multiple times a day attract far more traffic and far more leads than sites that publish weekly.
- Keep publishing until your crowd shows up to your website in sufficient numbers.
- Implement effective conversion strategies.
- Monitor and measure using the free tools of Google Webmasters Tools and Google Analytics.
To verify the above system works, please check out the case studies on our website. The first three are clients on whose behalf we did the work. The last three are students whom we taught how to do it themselves.
Generating high quality leads through your website is conceptually simple. What makes it hard is the diligence and dedication to stick with it until it delivers to you the results you need.
About the Author
Kevin Carney is a Principal with BillBelew.com, a service that provides Inbound Marketing Services as well as conducts Inbound Marketing University for people who want to learn how to do it for themselves.